The graduate program in Kinesiology allows students to choose one concentration from among four designed to prepare students for a wide variety of careers in physical activity, exercise, sports, and nutrition. The Exercise Science concentration prepares clinical professionals for employment in health, fitness, and clinical exercise settings. The coursework also prepares students for relevant certifications through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and other professional organizations.
The Physical Education concentration is designed to allow teaching professionals the opportunity to advance their careers, expand their proficiency, and increase their value at elementary and secondary institutions in public, private, and religious schools. The Sport Management concentration prepares sport professionals for a variety of management-related careers in settings including teaching, coaching, and management of sport, recreation, and leisure programs. The curriculum follows the guidelines of the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) and includes specialized courses in sport law, marketing, economics and finance, event and facility management, and relevant field experience
The Nutrition in Health Sciences concentration is designed to equip students with higher education knowledge, research skills, with emphasis in human molecular and medical nutrition track or general human nutrition track, to develop career paths in medical settings, laboratory sciences, the wellness industry, public services, government agencies, non-profit organizations and private companies.
Master of Science in Kinesiology Admission Requirements
Admission standards for graduate studies at California Baptist University can be found in the Admissions section of the University Catalog. Additional application requirements for the graduate program in Kinesiology are:
- Grade Point Average
- A minimum 2.75 GPA for unconditional acceptance
- Applicants with a GPA lower than 2.75 may be considered for admission with the presentation of a minimum combined score of 300 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or a passing score on the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)
- Prerequisites (completed with a “C” or better)
- The Exercise Science concentration requires prerequisite courses in anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology and biomechanics, or an equivalent
- The Nutrition in Health Science concentration requires prerequisite courses in general chemistry and organic chemistry, or the equivalent of both
- The Physical Education concentration requires a minimum of 12 semester units of study in Kinesiology including a basic movement anatomy or related course
- Outstanding prerequisite coursework must be completed within the first two semesters of graduate enrollment
- Three Recommendations, completed on forms provided, from sources who can address your potential for success. Family members and friends may not complete recommendations
- Comprehensive Essay of at least 500 words that includes the following:
- Purpose for entering the program
- Background and/or experiences in sports, physical education, or related areas
- Short and long term professional goals
- Reasons for choosing to study at California Baptist University
- Current Resume documenting all related professional and extracurricular experiences
- Successful Interview with the Director of the graduate program in Kinesiology
Program Requirements (33-34 units)
All students in the Master of Science in Kinesiology will complete a common core set of courses. In addition to the core, students will complete a concentration in either Exercise Science, Nutrition in Health Sciences, Physical Education Pedagogy, or Sport Management.
Students must complete all requirements in one of the following concentrations: Exercise Science; Nutrition in Health Sciences; Physical Education Pedagogy; Sport Management
Nutrition in Health Sciences
Students must complete either Human Molecular and Medical Nutrition track or, if approved based on undergraduate course work in Nutrition, the General Human Nutrition track.
Human Molecular and Medical Nutrition Track
General Human Nutrition Track
Students must be approved by the department to complete this track.
Physical Education Pedagogy
Students in the physical education concentration will work with the program director to develop a program plan based upon prior coursework and academic interest.
Thesis or Comprehensive Exam Requirement
Students must complete the comprehensive exam or thesis sequence for their declared concentration.
Exercise Science Thesis or Exam Requirement
Nutrition in Health Sciences Thesis or Exam Requirement
Physical Education Thesis or Exam Requirement
*Approved electives include any graduate degree applicable course in Kinesiology or Education not previously applied to a degree requirement
Sport Management Thesis or Exam Requirement